Immunophenotyping, myeloid / lymphoid markers
Acute myeloid leukemia, Acute lymphoblastic leukemia, Chronic lymphocytic leukemia, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
Flow cytometry, multiparameter analysis
Less than 24 hours
If RPMI media or MPLN RPMI transport media is not available, send in sterile saline.
- 5.0 mL (min. 2.0 mL) whole blood heparin preferred, CytoChex and EDTA or ACD whole blood accepted
- <2.0 ml (min. 0.5 mL) bone marrow aspirate heparin preferred, EDTA bone marrow accepted
- 20 mm^3 bone marrow core biopsy in MPLN RPMI transport media
- 5 mm^3 fresh tissue in MPLN RPMI transport media
- FNA (cell suspension or core biopsy) in MPLN RPMI transport media (2.0-4.0 mL RPMI)
- 4.0 mL (min. 2.0 mL) cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in sterile container
- 10.0 mL (min. 5.0 mL) pleural/body fluid in sterile container
- 10.0 mL (min. 5.0 mL) bronchoalveolar lavage in sterile container
Whole blood, bone marrow biopsy, fresh tissue, CSF, pleural fluid, or FNA in MPLN RPMI stable for 48 hours at 2-8°C
Storage & Handling
Whole blood, bone marrow, biopsy, fresh tissue, CSF, pleural/body fluid or FNA, ship in a Styrofoam container with a cool pack. (Do not allow cool/refrigerated pack to directly contact samples)
Causes for Rejection
Specimens stored at incorrect temperature; Non-viable specimens; Specimens in inappropriate anticoagulant; Too few cells; Hemolysis; Specimen clotted
- Craig and Foon. (2008). Flow cytometric immunophenotyping for hematologic neoplasms. Blood 111, No. 8:3941-3967.
- Special Issue. (2006). Zap-70 and CLL. Cytometry, 70B:4.
- Bethesda International Consensus Conference on Flow Cytometric Immunophenotyping of Hematopoietic Neoplasia. (2006).
- Davis BH et al. (2006). Bethesda International Consensus Recommendations on the Flow Cytometric Immunophenotypic Analysis of Hematolymphoid Neoplasia: Medical Indications (submitted for publication, Cytometry)
- Crespo et al. (2003). ZAP-70 expression as a surrogate for Immunoglobulin-Variable-Region mutations in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. NEJM. 348(18):1764.
- Nguyen et al. (2003). Flow Cytometry in Hematopathology. Humana Press.
- Shapiro H (2003). Practical Flow Cytometry 4th edition. Wiley-Liss.
- Wells et al. (2003). Myeloid and monocytic dyspoiesis as determined by flow cytometric scoring in myelodysplastic syndrome correlates with IPSS and with outcome after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Blood 102(1):394-403.
- Foucar. (2001). Bone Marrow Pathology 2nd edition. ASCP Press.