Immunophenotyping, myeloid / lymphoid markers
Acute myeloid leukemia, Acute lymphoblastic leukemia, Chronic lymphocytic leukemia, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
Flow cytometry, multiparameter analysis
4 mL (min.1 mL) whole blood sodium heparin preferred, EDTA whole blood accepted
2 ml (min. 0.5 mL) bone marrow aspirate sodium heparin preferred, EDTA bone marrow accepted
2 cm (min. 1 cm) bone marrow core biopsy in 2-4 mL MPLN RPMI transport media
5 mm^3 fresh tissue in 2-4 mL MPLN RPMI transport media
4 mL (min. 0.5 mL) fine needle aspiration in 2-4 mL MPLN RPMI transport media
4 mL (min. 0.5 mL) fluids,cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), pleural fluid, synovial fluid, and pericardial fluid in sterile container with 2-4 mL MPLN RPMI transport media
10 mL (min. 5 mL) bronchoalveolar lavage in sterile container with 2-4 mL MPLN RPMI transport media
If RPMI media or MPLN RPMI transport media is not available, send in sterile saline.
Whole blood stable 48 hours at room temperature
All other specimen types stable 48 hours at 4°C
Storage & Handling
Whole blood ship ambient. Protect from extreme temperature with an ice pack. Separate ice pack from specimen.
All other specimen types, always ship with ice pack. Protect from extreme temperature with an ice pack. Separate ice pack from specimen.
Causes for Rejection
Specimens stored at incorrect temperature; Non-viable specimens; Specimens in inappropriate anticoagulant; Too few cells; Hemolysis; Specimen clotted
- Craig and Foon. (2008). Flow cytometric immunophenotyping for hematologic neoplasms. Blood 111, No. 8:3941-3967.
- Special Issue. (2006). Zap-70 and CLL. Cytometry, 70B:4.
- Bethesda International Consensus Conference on Flow Cytometric Immunophenotyping of Hematopoietic Neoplasia. (2006).
- Davis BH et al. (2006). Bethesda International Consensus Recommendations on the Flow Cytometric Immunophenotypic Analysis of Hematolymphoid Neoplasia: Medical Indications (submitted for publication, Cytometry)
- Crespo et al. (2003). ZAP-70 expression as a surrogate for Immunoglobulin-Variable-Region mutations in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. NEJM. 348(18):1764.
- Nguyen et al. (2003). Flow Cytometry in Hematopathology. Humana Press.
- Shapiro H (2003). Practical Flow Cytometry 4th edition. Wiley-Liss.
- Wells et al. (2003). Myeloid and monocytic dyspoiesis as determined by flow cytometric scoring in myelodysplastic syndrome correlates with IPSS and with outcome after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Blood 102(1):394-403.
- Foucar. (2001). Bone Marrow Pathology 2nd edition. ASCP Press.